A Direct Neck Excision with Z-Plasty Offers Excellent Results
Traditional face lifts and other newer techniques to improve the overall facial appearance and contour of the neck may not be the most appropriate fit in every case. These surgeries are aggressive and come with a longer recovery time. For patients looking to improve appearance around the neck without any major alterations to the face, a direct neck excision is a more fitting alternative.
- A direct neck excision is a surgical procedure to remove excess sagging skin, fat and muscles from the front of the neck. It is a cosmetic procedure performed to enhance appearance and to get rid of what is known as the “turkey gobble” neck.
- Z-Plasty is a surgical technique that is commonly used for neck lifts and other plastic surgeries. It involves making incisions in such a way that it creates a Z shaped pattern when the wound is closed.
- Z-Plasty neck lift as a surgical technique has been around for a long time is often overlooked as newer techniques gain prominence. Some of its unique features are:
1. Minimally Invasive:
- The area under operation is smaller and is limited to the front of the neck.
- The incisions made are shorter and the unique Z pattern used to close the wound makes the scar unnoticeable over time.
2. Quick Operating Time:
- Z-Plasty neck lift involves administration of local anesthesia and an incision is placed below the chin and the excess fat, skin, muscle is removed.
- The surgery takes around 3 hours and most patients are discharged from the hospital on the same day. Patients stay overnight in rare cases where any complications persist.
3. Speedy Recovery:
- Patients experience mild bruising and swelling after the procedure.
- The dressing placed after the surgery are taken off in a day and the patients are allowed to take showers. Work can be resumed after 3-4 days.
- While no significant pain is experienced by patients, they are prescribed with certain medication for a few days after the surgery.
- Sutures are removed in about a week and most of the bruising is unnoticeable after 3-4 weeks.
A direct neck excision with Z-Plasty can give you excellent results with less invasion and complications and a brief recovery period.