What is Platelet-Rich Plasma?
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is an autologous concentrated preparation of platelets and the associated growth factors in a small volume of plasma. Platelets are a natural source of a number of growth factors in their natural and biologically determined ratios.
What do Platelets do?
Platelets release growth factors which regulate the healing cascade by signaling to surrounding cells to repair damages tissue and regenerate new tissue. Key growth factors involved in the process include, but are not limited to:
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
- Transforming Growth Factor group (TGF)
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VGEF)
- Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF)
- Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF)